How Landlords Can Promote Cleanliness
If you happen to own an apartment complex or even just a few houses that you rent out, you may sometimes have an issue with renters maintaining the area. You want your properties to look good, but you also want them to be safe. That means cleanliness is a priority.
A cluttered area makes it easier for accidents to happen and for bugs to infest the area. Use the tips below to help motivate your tenants to keep their homes free of clutter:
Run a Contest
A bit of healthy competition can go a long way toward keeping your properties clean. There are a couple of different contests you can run, depending what your financial status is.
- Run a yearly contest with the winner being the one who gets the fewest notices to clean up the property.
- Run a monthly contest with the winner being the one who meets all of the criteria you list, like mowing weekly, no toys in the yard, and so forth.
- Offer a rental discount to the winner, or maybe a gift certificate to a local store or restaurant.
One reason that people tend to hang on to so many things is that they might not have a place to put the things they want to get rid of. When you provide bins or dumpsters for them to put the items in, you stand a better chance of your tenants throwing out the things that need to go.
- Offer recycling bins to promote greener living.
- Offer bins for specific items on specific months. For example, you might offer bins one month for old furniture and another month for old electronics.
- Coordinate with recycling centers so that you may even be able to profit from the recycled items.
Keep Your Rentals Well-Maintained
The nicer a place is, the more likely the renters are to want to keep it clean. You have to do your part by keeping the units maintained in such a way that all of the elements are functional. For example, if you don't like furniture on the lawn, you might want to make sure that units have balconies or screened in porches that are usable, and designate them as areas where lawn furniture can be kept.
Keeping your rentals looking nice is a great way to prevent a high turnover rate on them. When you have cash flow you can count on, you can expand your holdings to include more properties. It's not just about looking good; it's about seeing the bigger picture and helping your tenants to help you realize your dreams.
To learn more, contact a company like disposal bin rentals BIZ Mechanical Complete Waste Services with any questions you have.